Welcome to Nonprofit Draft Day 2018!
A Nonprofit Board Fair and (NFL style) Draft that makes it easy for nonprofits to find the right board members and volunteers can find their fit.
How it Works
1. Nonprofits looking to recruit new volunteer board members (Free Agents) can register for Nonprofit Draft Day here. On the day of the draft, Nonprofits will receive an exhibit table to display info about your organization. This event is open to the public and Nonprofits are encouraged to bring as many representatives (Scouts) as they like. Current board members are highly encouraged to attend.
2. Professionals (Free Agents) interested in volunteering their time and skills can register for Nonprofit Draft Day here. On the day of the draft all you need to bring is a pocket full of business cards.
3. Before Draft Day, participants should visit the Nonprofits and Free Agents sections on this website. It’s a good idea to learn about the organizations and people you’d like to work with in advance.
4. Draft Day will open with the Nonprofit Board Fair. This will give Free Agents and Scouts a chance to mingle, interact, and learn more about each other. When a Free Agent wants to be considered by a Nonprofit all you have to do is drop your business card in their Draft Box.
5. Nonprofits can only select from the Free Agents who left a business card in their Draft Box. Nonprofits will be given a Draft Number that has been determined by random selection. At the designated time and place the Lead Scout (or Executive Director) will report to the Draft Organizers to confirm your selection. It’s important to have 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th pick Free Agents identified before this time just in case.
6. For the draft, the Lead Scouts (Executive Director, Board President, etc.) will be invited on stage to announce their Draft Pick. The Free Agent will be invited onstage at that time to receive recognition by all those in attendance.
7. Following the draft, Nonprofits and Free Agents will make arrangements to go through the normal nomination and confirmation process as specified by the By Laws of that organization. The draft itself is nonbinding.
Ultimately, with an infusion of talented board members, nonprofit agencies can feed more people, educate more children, house more families and make a difference in the Madison community.
Play by Play for the Day
The event will be held at on Saturday, January 20th at Edgewood College, Predolin Hall (1000 Edgewood College Dr), in Madison. Check-in for participants starts at 9am and the event runs until noon.
- Check-in is at 9:00 am on January 20th, 2018, Edgewood College, Predolin Hall
- 9:00 am Networking and Nonprofit Board Fair
- 10:30 am
- For Free Agents: Being a (More) Effective Board Member with Melanie Schmidt - Anderson Auditorium, Predolin Hall
- For Nonprofit Executive Directors: Submit your Draft Selection.
- 11:00 am Draft begins, announcements are made in Anderson Auditorium, Predolin Hall